Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Layered Mexican Casserole

Susan Bower shared the original recipe with me, I adapted it to suit my family's taste and needs.

1 can refried beans
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained**
1 jar (16 oz) salsa
6-8 corn tortillas
2 cups shredded mexican blend cheese
1 box Spanish rice, prepared
1 cup coarsely crushed tortilla chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees and spray casserole dish with cooking spray.

Mix 1 cup salsa with refried beans, mix remaining salsa with black beans. Line baking dish with 3-4 tortillas, overlapping to fit. Spread refried bean mixture over tortillas, evenly. Top with half the black bean mixure and half the cheese. Layer 3-4 more tortillas over cheese. Spoon and spread Spanish rice over tortillas. Top with remaining black bean mixture and cheese. Top with crushed chips.

Bake 30-40 minutes or until hot in center and bubbling along sides.

**Original recipe called for 1 lb cook ground beef instead of black beans.

*** I plan on adding black olives to this recipe next time.


****I have not tried freezing yet so I'm not labeling it as a freezer meal, but I bet it would work. If I try it, I'll come back to update the label.

No comments:

Post a Comment