Friday, December 11, 2009

Grandma Keen's Sugar Cookies

My beautiful great grandmother, Alice Keen, left quite a legacy, particularly among us girls... here's just one of her wonderful bequests.

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups sifted flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt

Cream butter. Gradually add powdered sugar - mix until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix. Sift together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Combine into a ball. Roll out on a lightly floured surface 1/8" - 1/4" thickness. Cut in desired shapes. Bake ten minutes at 375° on ungreased cookie sheet.

Note: I never roll my dough out that thin - the cookies are too crispy. I usually double the recipe because it doesn't make enough for my cookie monsters.

I've also made candy cane cookies using this dough. Double the recipe, divide dough in half, and to one half add peppermint flavoring and red food coloring. Roll dough into ropes, twist together candy-cane style, and bake the same way. Mmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment