Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Busy Night Special

My mom used to make this on the busiest night of the week. She would change the name to whatever day it was (Tuesday Night Special, for example) but I just simply call it Busy Night Special. True to it's name, it is great for a busy day because it is very simple to make and pretty quick to throw together.

1/2 - 1 pound ground beef (I usually only use 1/2)
1 pkg taco seasoning mix
2 cups rice, uncooked
4 cups water
1 can (drained) or 10 oz bag of EITHER green beans OR corn
garlic salt and pepper to taste
shredded cheese (optional)

Cook ground beef; drain. Add taco seasoning, rice, water, veggies, and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Test seasonings and adjust as needed. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve.

Vegetarian Variation: Substitute 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained, for the ground beef.

2 comments:

  1. Is there suppose to also be some water or milk? It doesn't seem like there would be enough liquid to boil and soften the rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I thought I had posted the response to this but it's not showing up. Yes, there is water and I completely FORGOT to put it in the recipe! *blush* But I've edited the post to include the 4 cups of water that you definitely need for this dish. :)

    ReplyDelete