Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Ranger Cookies

This is my very favorite cookie... EVER! Growing up, we had these cookies all the time. And since I really don't enjoy baking (Yeah, weird huh? I love to cook meals and I certainly love to eat desserts, but I hate to bake desserts. :S), on the rare occasion I do bake, it's a 99% chance that I'm baking these. I happen to have a copy of this recipe from my great-grandma, my grandma, and my mom and each generation has made one change to the recipe. I, too, have made a change from my mom's version. In my mom's version, you use chocolate chips. I've perfected it with butterscotch chips. ;) It makes me wonder what change my girls will make. :)

Cream:
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar

Add:
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

In a seperate bowl, combine:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Add flour mixture to creamed mixture and mix well.

Add:
1 cup coconut flakes
1 cup rolled oats
1-2 cups butterscotch chips
2 cups corn flakes

Drop by teaspoons on greased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees.

Makes about 5-6 dozen cookies

3 comments:

  1. If your girls are smart, they'll make the change back to CHOCOLATE chips!!! lol

    I don't have grandma's or great-grandma's recipes. How are they different?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you TRIED them with the butterscotch chips??? Oh my goodness, they are so good! But then, I've never been a huge chocolaholic. (How do you spell that?)

    Grandma didn't put any chocolate chips in at all. I can't remember Grandma Aurora's... I think it had to do with either the cereal or nuts. I'd need to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know there are die hard coconut fans, but I recommend leaving it out and mixing 1/2 and 1/2 semi-sweet & butterscotch chips. Not too sweet, since the butterscotch chips tend to be on the rich side.

    ReplyDelete